The next release of Dradis Pro will introduce a long standing feature request: fine-grained project permissions.
From now on, it will be possible to restrict who has access to what projects. We’ll evolve the interface over time but the basics are already here:
Users will only be presented with those projects they have access to in the **Project selection** view:
Of course administrators can access any project any time and reassign the permissions:
The implementation is almost there, just running the finishing touches. We are hoping to release in the next few days.
Our users have been pushing for project permissions for a while now. Among the use cases where having fine-grained project permissions is going to be a big win are:
- Restrict access to project that require a specific level of clearance (e.g. government projects, department of defense, etc.).
- Accommodate requirements by certain clients that only a specific set of pre-approved individuals is allowed to take part and manage their projects.
- Limit the visibility of the breadth of clients and projects of external contractors or freelancers brought to the organization.
- Limit the visibility of new joiners that are still in their probation period.
That is on the most pure permission == restriction front. However, having fine-grained project permissions is also going to allow us to do a number of interesting things:
- Create dashboards in which a users can quickly review all the projects they have been involved in lately.
- Create dashboards in which Technical Directors can quickly see a breakdown of projects for each team member.
- Quickly identified who has been working with who, and how long ago (useful for 360-degree feedback and evaluation).
All in all, this is a big step forward in the right direction and while we would normally wait to have a handful of new features before producing a new release we think this is important (and useful) enough to warrant its own version of the tool.
If you are not a Dradis Pro user yet, you can read more about painless 1-click reporting, merging tool output from your favorite tools into a single report and delivering consistent results with our tool. Get a license and start saving yourself some time today.